You might be wondering how to use a machete safely? Our guide will tell some essential tips for using a machete and how to hold it properly. However, there are numerous types of machetes, and all have different purposes to be used for. Further, some of the machetes are sharper than others.
Indeed, a machete is a cutting tool, and apart from cutting, it has several uses., The machetes have different blade sizes, and you need to buy them according to your need. Furthermore, each machete comes with different shapes, features, and qualities. Thus, the machetes are only helpful if you buy them as per your requirement.
In our guide, you will know how to use high-quality and popular combat machetes. Correspondingly, you will learn how to use a machete in the right way and how to swing it. Finally, after reading the complete guide, you’ll know how to keep a machete safely and the angle of contact.
Infographic For How to Use a Machete
Let’s get to know the tips on using a machete?
How To Use A Machete Safely?
Whether you are a professional or beginner machete user, all the machete users must follow some safety machete techniques by holding and swinging them correctly. Below we will tell some primary uses for a machete.
Area of Using a Machete
The area in which you will be using a machete should be prominent. Also, you need to know the swinging range of a machete. Large machetes require more space to work, and you need to be more careful while using them.
Other than that, always check that no one is standing beside you while you swing a machete. Work carefully with a machete to avoid injuries. Always check nobody is close to you or your working area while using a machete. None of the pets should be in the garden while using a machete.
How To Properly Hold A Machete?
Now we’ll tell you how to hold a machete properly. First, you should know how to control this sharp machete before using it. The grip of the hand should not be too loose or too rigid. Moreover, you need to hold a machete flexibly and swing it in the right direction.
On the other hand, if you hold a machete wrongly, it can be a huge mess. Besides that, you need to read the three steps below to know more about having a machete.
- When you hold a machete, curl the thumb and other fingers in the tool’s opposite direction. Also, it would help if you held the machete tightly.
- While holding a machete, other fingers should not be too loose or too tight.
- Lastly, the machete handle should be flexibly placed in your palm. Let the machete wiggle a little bit. Many beginner machete users do not hold the machete properly and tighten the grip, which results in injuries. It would also help if you did not hold a shorter machete with a similar grip as you will be holding a larger one.
How To Swing A Machete?
Now we will tell how to swing a machete in the right direction. For instance, you need to know how to swing a machete while cutting a brush, board, thicker or softer items. In addition, you need to make the right angle for swinging a machete in the right direction.
On the other side, you must require the whole strength while swinging a machete. Unfortunately, several beginner machete users do not put in all the effort and power of their shoulders while swinging a machete. Below are some essential tips that you need to know for swinging a machete correctly.
Firstly, while swinging a machete, you need to raise the arm. Also, the arm direction while swinging the machete should be downward. Likewise, the machete will have its weight, and gravity will pull it downwards. Therefore, you need to raise it before swinging any machete.
Secondly, you need to swing a machete towards your shoulders and make momentum. It is crucial to generate momentum from the arm to use a machete in the right direction. Do not forget to swing the machete while making your elbow lead. Thirdly, you need to skim the wrist slightly while cutting any item with a machete. The wooden items require more pressure downwards, while the softer items require force upwards.
Machete’s Angle Of Contact
A machetes’ contact angle should be suitable for using a machete correctly. It would help if you used a machete with the right swing and grip to avoid cuts. Using a machete safely and correctly will increase its efficiency and have the desired results. Besides that, if you feel the angle of using a machete is wrong, there might be injuries.
Tips On Carrying A Machete
It is very significant to know how to keep a machete. Never keep a machete open when you don’t need to use it. Cover the machete in its bag. Also, it would help if you carried the sheath of a machete with it while going anywhere. It is essential to have a machete with its sheath for your safety purposes.
Also, check out the top machetes of 2022
Tips On How to Safely Carry Machete?
To carry a machete safely, you must know the standard tips that we’ll state below.
- Always wear gloves while using a machete to avoid cuts.
- It would help if you pinched grip a machete to hold it.
- The handgrip shouldn’t be too flexible while using it.
- Carry the lanyard.
- Don’t use a machete with wet hands.
- Never swing the machete towards your body.
- Do not use a machete when you don’t have much energy.
- Never panic while using a machete.
Things to Avoid While Using Any Machete
Here we’ll tell some things that you need to avoid while using any machete:
- First, you should never use a machete in a perpendicular direction. It is necessary to make an angle of 45 degrees while using a machete.
- Furthermore, you need to stroke with a machete from the hand upwards. Other than that, you need to cut all delicate items with a machete upwards. Most importantly, while using a machete to cut the thicker woods, you need to use it downwards.
- On the other side, you need to cut the branches of trees in V-shape with a machete. Using a machete in a V-shape will help you easily cut the trunks of trees.
Crucial Things to Remember While Using a Machete
A machete is a versatile tool that you can use for various purposes. For example, you can use a machete for cleaning or cutting. Besides that, a machete can be used for defense purposes. Other than that, most people buy a machete tool for camping. Apart from using a machete, you need to know how to sharpen your machete and other vital things while using this sharp tool.
- Before using a machete, you need a lot of energy. In some cases, the machetes require more power than a machete to be appropriately used.
- It would be best to be careful using it and know the right direction of swinging a machete. In addition, a machete can cut your body if you swing it towards yourself. Therefore, avoid swinging a machete in your direction to prevent injuries.
- A machete can be slipped from your hand if you have wet hands. Therefore, you need to have dry hands for using a machete in the right direction.
- Other than that, it would help if you swung a machete in the outside direction.
- Before using a machete, you must need to clear out the area. There shouldn’t be any pet or other person around you because a machete can slip from your hand and injure others.
- Moreover, if you are using a machete outside of the home, then use it at a certain distance from others. Especially while cleaning the bushes or cutting trees, ask others to stand far away.
- Lastly, it would help if you chopped something with a machete by staying at a particular place.
Our easy guide is ideal for beginner machete users. Moreover, you will know how to keep a machete safely while traveling. Besides, the professional users must know all the above tips that we have mentioned in our guide.
After reading the guide on using a machete, you can avoid all the mistakes. You will be using a machete securely. All the rules and tips in our guide will help you use any machete without any difficulty. Hopefully, our guide allows you to use a machete in different situations. Thank you for visiting us!
And I’m the editor here at TheMacheteGuide.com
I’m passionate about getting the most from your machetes and empowering you with the knowledge you need to clean machetes most efficiently and safely possible.
I will review all types of machetes which you can use for different purposes.